District Police Departments
Applications for the Diploma in Police Studies
Applications for the Diploma in Police Studies taught in Finnish are accepted all year round. Although this is a rolling application system, the year is split into four application periods. In each of these periods applicants are selected for entry to either one or two of the Diploma courses starting at that time. Students for the Swedish-language course are selected on the basis of need. In the last few years, training for the Swedish-language Diploma in Police Studies has begun once a year.
1. Take a look at the application requirements and the application and selection procedures. NOTE: The requirements include e.g. Finnish citizenship.
2. Decide when you would like to start the training.
3. During your chosen application period get in touch with your local police department and agree on when you will complete and submit the application and the necessary enclosures.
If you live abroad, contact the Police College’s Student Selection Unit and discuss the application procedure with them.
4. Submit your application and enclosures to your local police department on the agreed date. When you do this, you will also be interviewed and the interviewer will submit his/her assessment of you to the Police College.
5. Wait for a reply by post. Every applicant will receive a letter about one month before the entrance exam, stating whether he/she is invited to the first phase of the entrance exam for the Diploma in Police Studies.
6. Study the instructions for the entrance exam carefully, as well as the exam material that came with the exam invitation. Prepare for the exam as best you can. It is worth making preparations for the language test (Finnish or Swedish) and the physical fitness test before you receive the entrance exam invitation.
7. Those taking the entrance exam will be informed of the exam results by post no later than about one month prior to the start of training.
Back | Print page