Justification for granting a driving instruction licence
Driving instruction licence for categories other than B
A driving instruction licence for driving licence categories other than category B are granted for nine months, and at the earliest six months before the learner reaches the minimum age required for the particular category of driving licence.
Requirements for granting a driving instruction licence for categories other than B:
- the instructor is aged 25 or over, or a category AM instructor is aged 21 or over
- the instructor has held a driving licence for at least three years
- an instructor for a category AM moped must hold a driving licence for a moped or a motorcycle
- an instructor for a category AM light quadricycle must hold a driving licence for a light quadricycle or a category B licence
- in other categories, the instructor must have a driving licence corresponding with the relevant category of driving licence
- the instructor has passed a theory test required to obtain a driving instruction licence, or he/she has a driving instructor qualification, in the relevant category
- the personal characteristics of the instructor make him or her suitable for the role of driving instructor (for example, driving bans are taken into consideration when granting driving instruction licences)
- the vehicle used for instruction has the requisite controls for the instructor, which have been approved in a vehicle modification inspection (if several vehicles are used for providing instruction, the modifications to all of these must be approved)
The requirements for granting a driving instruction licence for Group 2 licence categories also include other criteria. For more information, contact your local police.
When applying for a driving instruction licence for a category other than B, the applicants must bring the following:
- A completed driving instruction licence application (forms are available at your police station or from the examiner)
- driving licence
- in case of a driving instructor, information about qualifications for the relevant category
The learner must apply to the police for a driving licence permit. For instructions on submitting an application for a driving licence permit, see under the section Driving licence permits.
The applicant must be permanently resident in Finland.
| Print page